Thank you to all of our speakers and panelists, presenting sponsor National Grid, corporate sponsor Solect, supporting sponsors Conover and Gould Strategic Communications and World Energy, all of our exhibitors and to all who attended our 2014 Mass Energy Summit!
Click here for event photos.
Event video coming soon!
Click on the links below for power point presentations or further information about our speakers.
Maeve Vallely Bartlett, Secretary, Executive Office of Energy and Environmental Affairs, Commonwealth of Massachusetts
BREAKOUT SESSION I
Panel A – Case Studies
Learn how these companies have made sustainability strategies part of their overall core business strategy. They will show how implementing sustainable business practices helped them effectively cut operating costs and increase profitability, and what hurdles they have faced in implementing and managing their renewable or efficiency programs.
- Alex Alexandrovich, P.E., President and Founder, Baker Engineering & Controls, Inc. (Case Study: Sabic)
- Bruce Buckbee – Vice President of Business Development, World Energy
Panel B – Municipal Focus
A discussion on what is happening around the state on the municipal side highlighting recent successful energy initiatives by local municipalities.
- John Odell, Director, Energy and Assets, City of Worcester
- Edward C. Anthes-Washburn, Deputy Port Director, City of New Bedford
- Chris Mason, Energy and Sustainability Officer City of Northampton
- Jennifer Hager, Planning Director, Town of Sutton
Panel C - Careers In Energy
The current energy industry is recruiting, training, and nurturing a new generation of workers in a variety of existing and new, innovative sectors. Positions can range from entry-level to professional positions in a wide range of fields such as engineering, installation and repair, production, construction and auditing to name a few. Join us for this engaging conversation and explore the many career opportunities in energy today.
Moderator: Amy Mosher, Workforce Central Career Center
- Tamika Jacques, Director of Workforce Development at MassCEC
- Vincent DeVito, Partner, Bowditch & Dewey and Board Member, Institute for Energy and Sustainability
- Kevin Doyle, Workforce Co-Chair, New England Clean Energy Council
- Mike Cucchiara, Senior Community Program Manager, Next Step Living
BREAKOUT SESSION II:
Panel A – State of the State
This panel will address the new and current incentives and opportunities available from the state and federal government, along with the utilities, and what they provide for developing energy efficiency practices and renewable energy programs for the commercial customer.
Moderator: David O'Connor, Sr. Vice President for Energy & Clean Technology, ML Strategies
Panelists to date:
- Timothy Roughan, Director of Energy and Environmental Policy, National Grid
- Meg Lusardi, Acting Commissioner, Department of Energy Resources, Commonwealth of Massachusetts
- Joseph Hall CEM, LEED AP, Program Manager, NSTAR Energy Efficiency
Panel B – Solar for the Commercial Customer
With the continued decrease in solar system pricing and state and federal incentives, more companies are looking to implement solar to reduce their energy expenditures. In this session panelists will give an overview of the strategies you’ll need to know about developing, executing and maintaining your project to meet your business needs and goals. Topics to include:
- Ins and outs of hiring a consultant, engineer, and/or installer for your project
- Strategies and obstacles in designing & building your project
- Meeting federal and state qualifications
- Financial analysis to identify the most advantageous, risk reduced structure for your specific project
- Innovative financing options that can reduce upfront costs
- Who are the right lenders and investors?
- Direct ownership or power purchase agreement (PPA)
- Tax and finance issues
Moderator: Vincent DeVito, Partner, Bowditch & Dewey and Board Member, Institute for Energy and Sustainability
Panelists to date:
- Craig W. Huntley, Founding Principal, Solect Energy
- Kathy Parker, CPA, MST, Partner, Rodman & Rodman, P.C.
- Briony Angus, Project Manager, Tighe & Bond
Panel C - National Grid, Smart Energy Solutions Program
Join us to learn how we are creating a smarter energy future for Worcester. Smart Energy Solutions is the local Worcester pilot delivering advanced metering infrastructure and advanced distribution automation to demonstrate the benefits and opportunities of these progressive investments in our energy delivery for all customers. Many large and small businesses identify energy as one of their largest operating costs, so see how National Grid is looking to deliver the information and technology to help everyone understand their energy consumption, improve service reliability and better inform business investments.
Presenter: Carlos Nouel, Director of Alliances and Vendor Strategy, National Grid
Marcy L. Reed, President of National Grid, Massachusetts
Recipient - City of Worcester
A special presentation in conjunction with National Grid and the Green to Growth Initiative honoring the City of Worcester for demonstrating leadership through their initiatives in the field of energy efficiency and sustainability.